Can dogs eat mushrooms?

Can dogs eat mushrooms

No, dogs can’t eat mushrooms. Many experts put the mushrooms in the list that dogs should never eat.

In reality, things are not that simple. Most of the mushrooms available in the supermarket or your local grocery are safe for your dogs. Even then, dogs can eat only a little amounts of mushrooms, large consumption can cause diarrhea and vomiting. We often use canned mushrooms when cooking, but dogs can’t eat canned mushrooms. There are many other ingredients and dressing in canned mushrooms, the ingredients and dressing may be bad for dogs. I’ve heard some complaints that their dog had diarrhea after eating canned mushrooms. By the way, some dogs are allergic to mushrooms, be careful.

Most wild mushrooms grow in the wild are likely to be poisonous, can cause diarrhea, vomiting, stomachache, coma and even death. The toxic effects of wild mushrooms depend on intake dosage, dog’s weight and size.

Some say that my dogs had no problem after eating the table scraps contain mushrooms; if people can eat the mushroom, dogs can also do. There is no evidence to support this claim. And, above all, dogs can’t identify where the mushrooms come from and whether the mushrooms are poisonous. They will eat all kinds of mushrooms anywhere. If dogs used to eat mushrooms in your house, they will also eat poisonous mushrooms in the outdoors. I don’t think dog owners will accept this risk to let dogs eat mushrooms, So we must avoid feeding mushrooms even it’s cooked.

If you find your dog have eaten some mushroom outdoors, you’d better stop it and save the mushroom specimen to identify whether this kind of mushroom is poisonous. And, above all, call your vet immediately. If possible, let your dog try to vomit.

In summary, you should not feed your dog with mushroom whether wild or sotre bought. Remember, you’d better clear mushrooms in your yards before dogs find them. Mushrooms are bad for dogs.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply